Monday, March 23, 2009

NSW - Seal Rocks


One of our favourite relaxation spots is Seal Rocks, a peaceful fishing village about 1 1/2 hours drive north of Newcastle. Heading north from Newcastle, take The Lakes Way road to Forster. 24 k's down the road, is the Seal Rocks turnoff and then this peace of paradise is 11 k's down the road with 2k's of dirt road. We are towing a 22foot van and the drive was easy. Just before the Seal Rocks turnoff you pass through Bungwahl, a small, small town, which I noticed by a sign beside the road is the "Choko capital of Australia". Maybe the choko's are out of season but I didn't see any sign of a choko anywhere. No vines, no road side stands. Nothing. An interesting way to make your one's claim to fame! Not that I'm really keen on chokos myself. I remember when I was a kid Mum used to make chokos in white sauce. I ate it, but couldn't stand it really. My feelings about chokos haven't changed but I know many people who love them.
When you drive down the final hill and round the bend into Seal Rocks you are greeted with the beautiful waters of First Beach which is where the Seal Rocks Camping Reserve is. We stayed at this camp site for four nights and loved every minute of it. One day we actually had two naps. We got up in the morning, walked along the beach, swam, breakfast, back to the beach, fall asleep on the beach, lunch at the van and while reading my book in the afternoon, couldn't keep my eyes open so had to have another nap! I don't ever remember having two naps in one day. My how times are changing!
We decided to walk up to the corner store one day to have lunch. The menu consists of meat pies or sausage rolls. I was hoping for a toasted sandwich or something interesting. We are gourmet grey nomads after all. Anyway, we both chose a pie and sat outside looking at the beautiful view. It was a good pie and the view is to die for.
Another day we rode our bikes from our camp site up to the Sugar Loaf Point Lighthouse which is one of our favourite spots in the area. We had to bike up three hills to get there, and one big hill on the way back, and I didn't even have to get off my bike and push it. I was so proud of myself. Boy, these two naps a day are really helping my fitness levels.
Next spot is Diamond Beach. About an hour down the road. We don't want to drive too far in these early stages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, you look too relaxed in your photos, happy travels