Wednesday, May 12, 2010

WA-Coral Bay



Coral Bay is at the southern end of Ningaloo Reef and is a marine paradise. There are two caravan parks, a motel and a few shops and eating places. The water is undrinkable so you need to make sure to fill up your tanks. The water is artesian and very hot and salty. When I had a shower I had trouble getting it cool enough as even the cold water is hot. There is something very odd about brushing your teeth in hot salty water.

The bay is stunning and you walk right off the beach with your snorkel and view the coral and so many spectacular coloured fish. Each time we went out we would see different types. We would come down to the beach at least twice a day to be with the fish. Off shore is the edge of the reef where the waves break and this makes the inner reef very calm and perfect for snorkeling.

Every afternoon at 3:30 is fish feeding time when the huge snapper come in to be hand fed. It is such a buzz. You stand in the water and about 50 of these large fish swim around you eating the bread and pellets. I buried my toes in the sand as I was afraid that the fish might find my red toenails appetizing.

No comments: